Monday, February 2, 2009

I Walked Away from Corporate America....

Some might say it was bad timing....I say it was perfect timing. Some would say that I had a great job, great benefits and great pay. Sometimes I think that the American Dream is overshadowed by Corporate America. We sell our souls for a "steady paycheck and of course benefits". I will never forget the day that I came home from work excited to see my wife and new baby...Now to give a little bit of context, I was a road warrior so coming home was always an exciting time. But today was different, instead of my wife being excited to see me she was crying while she was talking on the phone. My mind was racing about what could be wrong. She got off the phone and told me she had been laid off from her job in the middle of her maternity leave. I will never forget the words and thoughts that ran through my mind. The big bad husband wanted to drive over there and handle the situation. But cooler heads prevailed and I just thought to myself......NEVER AGAIN. It was like it hit me all at once....a wakeup call that I must have hit the snooze button on before. We are letting someone else control our finacial future. I mean a business could make bad decision and even though we are making good ones it wouldnt matter we would go down with the ship too. So, my wife has still not went back to "work" and probably won't...She has the most important job there is and that is raising our son..Plus I believe her being laid off was a blessing in disguise because we might have not have made the decision for her to be at home.

Now a couple of months later the words NEVER AGAIN was ringing in my ears I walked away from my job and decided that I could make a go of it myself. So, that is one of the reasons that I started this blog. I am sure that sometimes it will be a place to vent frustration but maybe it can become a place were other professionals can come together and share marketing and other business ideas....

No comments:

Post a Comment